Worldwide low back pain is one of the major problems. It causes disability to many patients. Near about 60% to 90% people suffer from this low back pain. Artificial Disk Replacement in the Lumbar Spine is new form of surgical approach which can give relieve from lower back pain. It is somehow similar to knee and hip joint replacement. In the year 2004 this has got FDA approval. An artificial medical graded metal and plastic use in the lower part of the spine. This type of replacement surgery normally need general anaesthesia and the patient require 3 to 5 days hospital stay.
Reasons for replacement:
Some of the reasons for replacement are
- Not everyone is recommended to this surgery. Doctors usually perform a number of tests to confirm the surgery. it is recommended if:
- You are overweight than permited level.
- You do not have any surgery on spinal before.
- If your back pain source is only from one or two disc of your spine.
Artificial Disk Replacement in the Lumbar Spine surgery also involves some risk like other surgeries. This surgery requires more access to spine than normal standard lumber fusion surgery; hence the risk is more in this surgery.
Some of the risk factor is:
- Area surrounded the artificial disc can be infected.
- Dislocation of artificial disc can happen later.
- Fracture can happen to disc
- In poorly positioned implant some problem can appear.
An incision in abdomen is normally made for surgical implantation. This process is similar to anterior lumbar interbody fusion. The blood vessels and the organs are moved to a side while performing this surgery. This process allows the surgeon to get greater access of your spine without disturbing the nerves. 3 to 4 hours is normally required for this surgery.