Due to irritation and constriction of tendons around the thumb base De Quervains Tendinitis is occurred. Tendinitis or tendinosis is the inflammation of tendon. It creates tenderness and pain around the thumb and wrist. The pain is felt at the time of fisting, gripping and grasping something. Basically three factors are associated with this disease. If overuse of thumb is the first reason, then rheumatoid disease can be the second one. Sometimes pregnancy is the one of the leading causes of De Quervains Tendinitis.
Symptoms of De Quervains Tendinitis:
Primarily pain and swelling is the indication of this orthopedic disorder. But there are some significant symptoms along with. Have a look on these.
- De Quervains Tendinitis indicates wrist pain adjacent to the thumb.
- Sometimes the pain comes slowly again sometimes the pain becomes severely.
- The pain may spread to the forearm.
- A fluid filled cyst is observed at the affected area.
- A snapping sensation is felt while moving the thumb.
The physicians apply pressure on the thumb area of the wrist to diagnose the De Quervains Tendinitis. Even Finkelstein test is done too for detecting the De Quervains tenosynovitis. Various X-rays are required for diagnosing the problem. Doctors recommend ibuprofen and naproxen as the important medicines to reduce inflammation and pain. Among numerous non-surgical ways these below mentioned procedures the included.
- Splints: Splints is the device which is used to keep the wrist and thumb in rest.
- Avoid Pain Causing Activities: The activities in which wrist and thumb are involved shouldnt be done to get rid of De Quervains Tendinitis.
- Corticosteroids: Corticosteroid injection is injected into the tendon sheath to reduce the inflammation and pain.
But if the condition is not improved the surgery is essential. In this procedure thumb compartment is divided for allotting each room for irritated tendons.